30.4.10

Chambray


Image from Coggles.com

I've been thinking about chambray a lot. I think I actually had a dream about it a few months ago when it was still snowing and when chambray anything would have been kind of a chilly choice.

Anyway, I went down to the fabric shop the other day to see if I could glean any clothes-making inspiration from rolls of fabric (usually quite unlikely) and happened upon a roll of chambray denim which I then spent about 10 minutes convincing myself not to buy – I am trying to stop buying fabric for no reason.

But! I think I have found my reason! Elizabeth Lau's denim dress (above) with velvet bows appeared in my inbox the other day, and is definitely the next thing I want to try and copy. I'll have to sacrifice the pretty folds on the front though – I think they're a bit beyond me at present.


Images from Zara.com May 2010 lookbook


While on this cotton-mix internet cycle I found a lot more reasons to dream about chambray denim. I like the idea of using a really very traditional fabric that has become a very modern fabric, and taking it back in time again by making it into classic shapes. Aside from anything else, classic shapes are generally what I would love to wear more of, but are never sold anywhere that I can afford. Does anyone else find that? I suppose that's why vintage is so popular.

This Lanvin for Acne dress is my favourite, although I can't imagine how it's done. Some things ought not to be copied perhaps. It is lovely though.

Photobucket
Image from acnejeans.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, so thank you for leaving one! Please though, don't leave your blog address in the comment box – it is slightly spammy, and already linked via your blogger profile. Thank you!