25.8.11

Colour Block

apc yes1
Image via A.P.C.

I always used to read magazine articles about the dreaded 'colour blocking' with some disdain. That was until a couple of weeks ago, when I realised that as it turns out, I wear nothing but blue. I'm doing it right now. Unoriginal as this already is, it is not a new problem.

When I was about fourteen years old, at boarding school and sharing a tiny room with three other fourteen-year-old girls (not the greatest time of my life), I had the smallest wardrobe you have ever seen, and, inside it, was a sea of blue wooly jumpers and blue jeans. There was also a tan sheepskin coat from La Redoute that everyone laughed at and that I considered to be the height of French couture, but that's beside the point.

All this blue was a problem, my fourteen-year-old self realised, and by the next school year, I had entered my psychedelic stripy Gap jumper years, which were a debatable improvement.

yesapc7
Image via A.P.C.


But it's not all bad! I recently put my wardrobe into colour order the other day and was entirely satisfied by the result; Joanna Goddard knows New Yorkers who dress all in one colour on purpose; and A.P.C have, helpfully for those New Yorkers, organised their new collection in colour order too.

I do need to break away from the blues though, I will never carry it off the way the girl in Joanna's article can. Perhaps instead, I'll linger longer on the reds section of the A.P.C. site, and see if I can shop out some things like these:

5 comments:

  1. Is the second image your actual wardrobe lol? Wow, thats a LOT of blue :) I'm really liking the reddish sandals, deff a good addition to any wardrobe! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that article about the people who wear one color, it was reprinted in the telegraph magazine or something. I considered the all grey to be an option, and was impressed with the one women's dedication to kelly green - not an easy colour. I seem to have a lot of blues/greens/greys, but i agree it's hard to break out of the habit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post!

    http://xoxo-carolinalove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's something so pleasing though about looking at such colour blocks, it's like they agree with the eyes. You did such a great job here. I admit that I have no idea how to do such collages, I wish I was more adept with the computer.

    p.s. the minute you mentioned boarding school, I imagined all sorts of romantic stories for you - silly me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the girl that was only wearing electric blue was slightly crazy, so I think it's good your making an effort to break out of you blue-zone before you become like her :D And I love the items you picked out btw!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, so thank you for leaving one! Please though, don't leave your blog address in the comment box – it is slightly spammy, and already linked via your blogger profile. Thank you!