16.9.11

Seascape

There's such escape in a seascape. They're mesmerising. As L.S. Lowry explained his fascination with painting them: 'It's the battle of life – the turbulence of the sea – and life's pretty turbulent, isn't it?' 

Seascapes are blank space with lots of little details – the colour of the water, sometimes white horses, sometimes a mirror shine. When I go back home to Islay, I can't help but photograph it in all its moods – I'm especially sad to be missing all of the drama of the autumn storms that will be coming in the next few months.

I like certain clothes for similar reasons: I've never been much of a one for bold, bright, blocked patterns – something small and intricate suits me best; soft draping reminds me of waves and unpredictable tides, and muted blues and greens are all I ever really want to wear. 


The view from the ferry across the sea to Islay on a darkening night.


A Lowry seascape 'The Sea' (1963) hanging in Glasgow's Kelvingrove Art Gallery.
Below: The view from outside my Islay house the morning I left.

9 comments:

  1. I love this post so very much (especially as I'm bound for home next week!) I'll be returning a few times to drink all of this in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. I love your selections. have a lovely weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these ferry photos are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collections and colours, they go so well with the images I can just see me walking along the beach on a mild autumn day in the dress in the second lot. Pity about the price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a mesmerising post, it's quite calming too. the combination of sea images and beautiful bits and pieces is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy your posts so much. I saw this and thought, what a perfect idea. I often feel really inspired by paintings/architecture and can never translate that inspiration into anything and this is just the way to do so. I really like the greys and blues in these outfits, my kind of hues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this. is. beautiful. Lowry, you say? Definitely making a note to look him up. I miss the sea so much (former Californian currently landlocked), but maybe I should just wear it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful images and colors. I'm drawn to exactly the same tones, muted colors and the deep dark blue of a night sky. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah..i love this. the images are just so lovely. i really can't imagine my life not living close to the sea..i think i'd be quiet lost. and i really love the outfit collections, especially #2.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, so thank you for leaving one! Please though, don't leave your blog address in the comment box – it is slightly spammy, and already linked via your blogger profile. Thank you!